Parent/Child Dedication is a commitment for parents to raise their child in the ways of the Lord. During the Parent/Child Dedication, parents are provided the opportunity to make a public declaration to raise their children(ren) in a Christ-centered home and do all they can to lead their kids to know and believe the gospel. The church community is part of this celebration and is asked to commit to support and partner with these parents in their calling. At Mariners, we view dedication not as a statement of salvation for a child, but rather a statement of how parents will raise their child(ren). While not a command of scripture, Parent/Child Dedication is a symbol of a parent’s desire to obediently raise their child(ren) in the knowledge and instruction of the Lord.
“I prayed for this child, and the Lord has granted me what I asked of him. So now I give him to the Lord. For his whole life he will be given over to the Lord.”
How Do I Dedicate My Child at Mariners?
Step 1: Register for and attend a Parent/Child Dedication Class.
For parents to have a full understanding and context regarding the important role they play within the dedication, parents are required to complete an online registration form and attend a dedication class.
Step 2: Be placed on a schedule for an available dedication weekend by our children’s ministry.
Once you have attended a class and a dedication service time is available, you will be contacted and scheduled for a date on a dedication service weekend. Service times are filled on a first-come, first-served basis. If the date or service time does not work for your family, you have the option to stay on the list and be contacted for the next dedication weekend
Step 3: Participate in the Parent/Child Dedication during a weekend church service.
- The dedication takes place in a separate special ceremony with guests of families and our elders and pastors, approximately one hour before a weekend service time.
- Parents will personally introduce their child and share their child’s life verse.
- Parents are invited into a public commitment reflecting how they desire to raise their child in the Lord.
- Families will be blessed and prayed for by a pastor or elder of Mariners Church.
- After the ceremony, families and guests will transition to the Worship Center.
- Dedication familiers (immediate family only) will go on stage for a brief time in the Worship Center. The congregation is invited to pray over the children and families demonstrating our support as a church of these children.
For more information, contact [email protected]